Re: [St] Full pucker moment

I'm very glad that you were able to "ride it out".  Good job!

Yes, wet surfaces have surprised me in the past too.  Not very much fun.

----- Original Message ----
From: Kevin Byram <blubyu352@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Sprint Email List <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:28:48 AM
Subject: [St] Full pucker moment

Riding to work on the Sprint at about 6:00 a.m., The roads were damp from heavy rain the night before but it was not raining at all during my commute. I had been riding for about 35 minutes and it was about 49-51 degrees F. I entered an on ramp that I typically hit moderately hard during dry conditions but took very easy this time. The on ramp is an "S" turn but not very severe. As I hit the apex on the first left hander, I began rolling on throttle and leaning moderately. The rear tire slide out suddenly as if I had hit a patch of ice. The bike probably was now pointing at about 40 degrees left of the center of the ramp. I heard myself saying out loud in my helmet woah, woah, woooah! I had a fleeting vision of a shower of sparks and broken plastic and thought I might be going down. Fortunately, I didn't chop the throttle, but rolled off gradually and got the bike upright after a brief wobble. That was close!
This really took me off guard. I didn't see any sign of oil or antifreeze or anything that would make the surface unusually slick. My rear tire is in need of replacing but did not expect to lose it so easily as the side treads are still in great ship.  (I have a new Diablo waiting in the garage).
This is the first time I have slid the rear end out supermoto style on a street bike. From now on, I am going to be extra careful on wet roads! I am changing that rear tire NOW!