[St] Fuel Monitoring (was Re: brake rotors on 115000 km)

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 Todd J wrote:
>>Markus--Could you clarify for me? You stated, "...Funny thing is that you can tell just on monitoring the gas-mileage if anything is wrong.With the worn out rotors the mileage dropped to 6 l/100km, while it used to average 5 l/100km before..."
How did you determine the relationship between rotor wear and mileage. Or that eroding mileage is an indicator of a problem. Seems interesting, like to hear more.
Todd
~~~~

I started monitoring gasmileage a couple of bikes ago. Just kept the fuel receipts and put that info in an excelsheet in a "lost moment": Date, trip, odo, fuel and price and calculated gasmileage out of it. Since I am making a lot of distance on the bike and it never stay's for too long in the garage, It is a rather good indicator for things happening on the bike.

Off course you can tell by the gasmileage if it is cold outside: Oiltemparature will stay lower and thus causing more friction etc.

Beside those effects, gasmileage fluctuated over a longer distance like 1000km allthough riding style was pretty much the same.
In those cases the causes were (roughly):
Low tyre pressure (efffect is about + 0,5 l/100km when riding at 2,5 bar in stead of 2.9 at the rear)
Low oil level (+ 0,5 l/100km, so if you want to influence you gasmileage keep the oil level above halfway the glass)
Bike needs an oil change / service intervall
Need to lube your chain (I lube it every 1000km and the OEM chain lasted 60.000km first time and 45.000km second time, I'm now on my third chain)
Brake rotors are worn out and the wobbling of the discs causes friction and thus worse fuel consumption. (+1 l/100km)

Another effect: riding in the mountains (french alps) causes lower fuelconsumption allthough we were pushing it hard. Never figured that one out myself, I expected the opposite.

I now it's not rocketscience, but it helps from time to time. And my problem is that I am an engineer by birth.....

I can send you the excellsheet, if you like.

Cheers

--Markus