Re: [St] '99 Sprint ST for sale

Ok first off, if you live in the US and you're not a member of AMA, I
highly recommend you join. Make it a Christmas present to the sport
you love.

The IIHS or Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has an agenda to
ban sport bikes. Those of you who are old enough to remember know
that they tried this once before back in the 80s. Fortunately, the
AMA educated the IIHS's mouthpiece, Senator Danforth and set him
straight.

Once again the IIHS has looked at one statistic and interpreted it
with a very scary bias for those of us who like to ride. They noticed
that the number of people dying while riding motorcycles has gone up
dramatically in the last 10 years. Without looking at any causes
(such as the proliferation of cell phones in that same period)
they've deemed that race replica sport bikes are so dangerous that
they should be banned. The article in Motorcyclist includes a list of
bikes that they include in that category, and the Sprint ST was
listed. The AMA points out some other really silly examples of bikes
that they miscategorized.

Here's the IIHS press release: http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/
pr091107.html

Here's the AMA article: http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2007/
IIHS.asp The online version doesn't have the sidebar that listed the
motorcycles that the IIHS classified as super sport.

On Nov 23, 2007, at 10:11 AM, JES_VFR wrote:

> At 10:03 PM 11/21/2007, you wrote:
>
>> Well it's been a great bike for almost 8 years, but I decided tonight
>> it's time to sell imy beloved Tornado Red 1999 Sprint ST.
>>
>> Here I was relaxing after work, sitting on the couch reading the
>> latest issue of Motorcyclist, when I came across the information that
>> I'm riding a very dangerous machine. Damn those folks at the IIHS for
>> ruining it for me.
>>
>> Hopefully I can get it sold tomorrow so I can go buy a Volvo. Then I
>> can drink coffee, talk on the phone, and swat the kids in the back
>> seat (note to self, go get some kids too) and know that I'm
>> transporting myself safely.
>>
>> Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/
>> motorcycles
>>   '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
>>   '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
>>   '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
>>   '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned
>>

> That's it scare the Smurfs you Joke,
> You could have atleast included a link to the IIHS article about what
> BS they are trying to pull.
>
> Not everyone has access to that sort of information.
>

> JohnS
> A Dragon Ascending
> "Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"

Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707)
786-4643