Re: [St] Rear Sprocket replacement

Todd J wrote:
> On my list of winter projects, besides the 24K service, is to replace the
 > chain and sprockets on my 01 ST.
>
> Looking through the shop manual it appears that to replace the rear sprocket
 > requires a near full disassembly of the final drive. Is there a short-cut
 > since the sprocket is on the outside of the SSSA?
>
> Also, in most of my searches here and on Triumphrat.net, I haven't read much
 > discussion about Triumph's recommendation to replace the stake nut (maybe I
 > missed it). Thoughts on this? Is it necessary? Is it damaged in the removal
 > process?
>
> It has been relatively quiet lately...should I throw out the 18 or 19T front
 > question too? ;-D

The rear sprocket is held by the 5 or six nuts is all and you don't have to
disassemble anything.  The stake nut on the front sprocket can be reused if
you're careful during removal, and there are a couple of types out there.

Bend the stake nut on the front sprocket back carefully, have someone hold the
rear brake while the bike is in gear and break that nut loose before removing
the chain.  The DID press tool does a great job of peening the heads of the
master link into place.

Use a small cut-off wheel on a Dremel to grind the head of a pin on the chain
down before pushing it thru with a breaker tool to make it way easier to remove
the chain.

I replaced with the DID-ZVM2 chain after successful use of the ZVM on my
previous '99.  More strenght, less stretch, less adjustments and more miles.
The last go round on my '03 I got the sprockets and the chain from
http://motorcycleonlinestore.com/inc/sdetail/3102 as they had the best price (no
affiliation, just a happy shopper).  The sell the chain to length so you don't
have to cut it and include the master link.

FWIW, HIH...done this one a few times.

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\