[St] Cold start circuit is no longer

I believe this is what a choke is called on a fuel injected bike.

Currently the only way I can start my 99ST (48K miles) is to give it a
bunch of throttle. I then have to use the throttle to keep the bike
idling. Once the bike is warmed up it idles and runs fine. The MIL is
not on so the computer is not throwing any codes. The battery is new.

I believe that the cold start circuit is not working. Which sensor
does the computer use to decide the bike is cold? Is it the engine
coolant temperature sensor? The temperature gauge is working fine.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Thanks
Rupert