Re: [St] Trailer Question

Hi Jeremy!

I have the $200 4x8 folding trailer from Harbor Freight.  It works ok for
what I need, but here are my observations from a practical trailering POV.

First:  4x8 is too small to carry 2 full size bikes.  While I routinely
carry 2 dirt bikes (2 CRF's), I would not be able to carry two street bikes,
especially when one is a Sprint.  Besides, a Sprint and Hawk (wet) would
probably exceed the 1000lb capacity of the folding trailer.  Go for the 5'
wide at least.  Better angles on your tie down points. 6' wide would be
best, or if the trailer has wider tie points, then that would be ok too.

Second, bigger wheels mean a more stable trailer; less sway or weaving at
higher speeds.

Third: I can't stress enough of using an appropriate wheel chock.   Having
my ST fall when a chock broke, well, you get the idea.

Fourth:  If garage space is an issue (and unless you are Jay Leno, it is),
go for those folders from Kendo.  Man, do those look nice.  I'll be looking
at them soon.  The Harbor Freight is ok for the price, but not very solid,
but again $200 is a good price.  $225 gets you 1200lbs.

Fifth: Check out what you can do with your car.  Usually, tongue weight is
the big problem for trailering with cars.  Figure 2 bikes and a trailer
would weigh in at least 1500lbs for a flat bed. That should be ok for most
cars overall, but mean a 150lb tongue weight (use 10% of the overall weight
as the tongue weight).

Sixth: Manual tranny's are better as automatics on cars don't have the oil
coolers to keep the tranny temp down, and that is the death of automatic
tranny's

Seventh: A box trailer will be heavier than a flatbed in both tongue weight
and total weight, and it will 'feel' heavier to a car because of the wind
resistance.  Plan accordingly.

Eighth:  U-haul can be your friend.  They maintain their own database of
what cars and trucks are rated for their towing capacity.  If you try to
rent a trailer that they deem too big for your car, they'll deny you.  Use
them as an ultra safe safety net.  You can't go wrong with their fear of
corporate liability if you get my drift.

Ninth:  Really cool (expensive) wheels work better than the stock steek
wheels.  Pimp your ride!  Get 'em to match the car wheels at least!

And Tenth:  Who needs a trailer?  Ride it Bitches! (ok, my dirt bike isn't
street legal yet, but I hope to have soon!)  And there is the occasional
breakdown, so just kidding! <grin>

--Joel