[St] (no subject)

In June I was privileged to attend a total control riding course with Gloria.
The course teaches you how to take a corner using ten different steps.

1.       Reposition foot
2.       Pre-position Body
3.       Push on the outside grip
4.       Locate turn point
5.       Look through turn
6.       Relax outside grip
7.       Push on inside grip
8.       Roll on throttle
9.       Push outside grip
and finally
10. Move back to neutral. (Placing the bike horizontal).

Although the course did raise my skill level it is difficult putting it all to practice in a coned off parking lot going round in circles under semi-adult supervision.....

Yesterday, again on Gloria, I attended a course at Pacific Raceways in Kent.

S.M.A.R.T. A.S.S. with Puget Sound Safety

This time I took the technical course to hone my skills a little. I was also a Rider Coach as well as a student and that helped me immensely. Coaching others where they are going wrong helps me to identify where I am going wrong and put it right.

The day started off COLD, bloody freezing actually, and, after warming up the tyres for a few laps, I started putting things into practice. At the end of the first 20 minutes session I was able to notice that I was coming out of turn 2 at 60 mph. Not bad I thought but silly looking at my speed.....

At the end of session 4 I needed to borrow some leathers with knee pucks because I had worn holes in the knees of my leathers. In other words, my knee was dragging in the corners. What a WONDERFUL feeling, especially on turn 3a and 3b (downhill right hairpin followed by a hairpin uphill to the left).

After session 5 I was dragging my knee in practically every turn, meaning everything was going right, my lines, hitting the apex every time, speed perfect, body off the bike.

There are only 5 sessions (5 lessons) and then two free for alls, go and play: D  At the end of session 5 (because I was a control rider) I went out with the other group (learning smart cornering not technical). That was 40 minutes on the track.

Coming off after that session I noticed more going out so..he he.. I turned round and went straight back out. This would be 1 hour of riding on the track at high speed. No mean feat I can tell you.

Seeing the chequerd flag, meaning this is the last lap, I decided to push a little harder and take note of my speed coming out of turn 2 (again a little silly but it is the perfect place for it simply because there is a long straight afterwards). I knew I was going faster, I could feel it,  but when I saw the Speedo hitting 80 mph I was shocked just how fast I was going. A full 20mph faster.

Some of you might think this is stupid and how can I apply this to the street. I now know I can take every corner without any problems. even if the radius suddenly decreases as I know exactly what Gloria can do and, more importantly, what I can do.

A little background to my riding.
I was bitten by the bug at the tender age 13 where I was given a Yamaha FS1-E to play with and immediately fell in love with cornering, anyone can go fast in a straight line.

Later, in the Army, I took a dispatch riders course. 40 hours on the range learning slow speed maneuvering followed by 20 hours on the street learning how to lane split safely (Sometimes I had to get to the front of a convoy 15 miles long very quickly. That is fun with flashing lights) and then another 20 hours on the dirt, cross country.

A few years ago I decided to start taking track days and seeing if I could improve my skills. Alas I low sided (the bike slides away from you) on turn 3b at Pacific. That hurt a little, more my ego than anything else. After repairing the bike I rented a trailer and travelled to Spokane. Betsy was not a good looking bike but boy did she move. Coming off the mark like she was shot out of a cannon, top speed of 145 (on the Speedo so allow +/-10% there OK) not especially fast but good enough for what I wanted.

Tyres warmed up after a few laps, alas they were new ones with only 20 miles on them, I was in a tight turn and again she low sided on me. This one hurt big time. Betsy was fine, just a few scratches but I was beat up a little bad. A one inch piece of skin burst on the palm of my left hand, hips bruised in a big way, took me an hour or so before I could actually walk without too much pain but my confidence took a real hit.

Those, supposedly teaching me, told me that I would never be able to corner properly and just stick to Sunday afternoon strolls.

This has been one big milestone in my life. I already know I will never out perform Gloria, but now I know I can do it. Sorry but I am emotional today.

Last night I collapsed on the couch and fell asleep until 03:00 this morning.
I am tired, my body aches like mad, but I am still on one hell of a high and will be for a LONG time. Adrenaline is wonderful.

There are a few photo's taken that day which I will post as soon as I get them plus one or two videos for those interested.

Thanks for reading guys; I know it is a little long.

.

Now onto the next level :D