[St] push start

Greetings to the collective trumpet mind!

My Daytona's battery is starting to get a bit dodgy. Methinks the three
month lay over while I was trying to sell it has messed up the battery.

Here's my question - if there is enough power to switch on the dials etc,
but not enough to spin the motor over, can I push start the bike?

Assuming I can find someone willing to help, I was thinking of putting it in
third, letting the bike build some speed then dump the clutch and give a
little gas.

will it work? will I go wheelying thorugh the security fence at work? will
my work colleagues all out of their cages with laughter?

thanks

Marc
Cape Town RSA

2006 Daytona 955, 2007 KLR650, 1965 doofus rider.