Re: [St] Fuel Economy

Rich,

If your commute is mostly highway, high speed cruising then you'll want
to take the gearing back to stock (taller).  This will result in lower
revs at cruising speed and should yield a bit better MPG.  I'm pretty
sure that the RS had 18/43 stock and you could probably even go to 19/43
(later ST's had this setup) but I'm not sure you could change by 2 teeth
and still use the same chain that you have.  So to stay w/in budget you
may be limited in what you can do.

Of course one of the better ways to improve fuel mileage is with your
right hand, I'd bet that if you were conscientious about acceleration
you'd probably see an increase from that.  Last I checked on my 00RS w/
17/43 gearing I get in the mid 40s when riding conservatively.

Now, the real question is whether or not it's really worth it to you to
commute on the RS given that it will require the use of premium fuel
which in my neck of the woods results in about a ~10% surcharge over
regular fuel.

That's my 2¢,

Nate
00SprintRS