Re: [St] Fuel Economy

I went through this exercise when I had my 99 ST. It came with 18t front
sprocket and I replaced it with a 17t. This gave me an extra 500rpm and really
sweetened the bike up.

I also found that my fuel economy actually improved, as I didnt have to rev
the crap out of the bike top get it moving from a standing start. Of course
there was a sacrifice in top end speed, however that is a relative thing. Loosing
30 or 40kph from the available top speed didnt really seem like a sacrifice
when I knew I could hit 200kph if I really wanted to! I could still do a 1000km
ride (Sydney to Brisbane) on two tanks of fuel.

The other part of the equation was that the economy improvements were
sometimes  eroded as the bike was just so much nicer to ride exploring the rev
range...

I suddenly found out that my ST would lift the front wheel using the
throttle. I also found out what a first gear power slide felt like. My then girl
friend was pillion at the time.  She never did believe my story that, as
exhilarating as it was, it was unintentional. She started speaking to me again a few
days later.

Brett.