Re: [St] Noise profile for 2006 Sprint ST 1050 c/w sport cans

Barry,
Do you have more info on the requirements? You can't just impose a dB limit, there has to be some specification on how the number is acquired. Here in the US, they say something like this: (for Illinois - Maximum allowable A-weighted sound levels based on measurements taken at a distance of 50 feet (Sec. 902.122): 80-82dBA at less than 35mph; 86dBA at more than 35mph.) Once you know the distance that they test at, you would actually be able to check your bike. I'm spoiled as I have a SPL meter at work. However, I have a 2003 Sprint with the stock can, so I can't help with the profile...

Dan

Barry Evans wrote:
I have a 2006 Sprint ST 1050 (purchased and serviced in Geneva, Switzerland)
fitted (and tuned) with the OEM Triumph sports can. Runs like a dream :)
I've done a couple of track days (and love them), but more and more tracks
are imposing noise limits. My understanding is that my can puts out about
101 dB? A track I'd like to ride in Sept (http://www.circuitdebresse.fr/) ,
has a max of 95 dB at 60% revs. Anyone have a noise profile (db vs. rpm)
for this can? I know in my helmet it sounds 'fruitiest' about 60% (c. 5-6k rpm), but not
sure if that is when it runs at max dB?
How big a job is it to swap cans? The original is sitting in a box in my
garage, but I have never touched it. Annoying kids on 2-strokes make more
noise every bloody hour outside my street, so its hardly a problem running a
sports can at street speeds here and elsewhere in Europe. And if I did swap
it temporary for the track, would the bike run OK with the sports tune?
If its all too much bother, I'll just go for (another) ride on the superb
mountain roads around here which are now starting to be clear of tourists
and still clear of snow :)
Thanks
Barry