Re: [St] I can't decide...Another Bike To Consider

Hi all, been lurking a while.

I still ride a KLR 650 as a dirt/ gravel/ trailie alternative to my Daytona
955. It handles commuting and gravel/ fire roads very well. The suspension
is a bit soggy for it to like soft stuff, sand is my nemisis.

The combination of my wussy sand skills and the soft suspension means I tend
to fall off when it gets too soft. Its the KLR that smashed up my ankle two
years ago - I still have the memory of a 200km ride home (including a river
crossing) with a smashed ankle firmly burnt into my brain.

One week in hospital, three months on crutches and another six months of
physio etc later I'm not too keen to repeat the experience.

I've ridden a short stint on the new BMW GS800, and when my wallet grows up
that looks like the dual purpose bike for me! More comfy and practical than
the KTM 640 (also ridden one), and way more grunt and better suspension than
my KLR.

That said, the KLR does its thing pretty well, not the kind of bike you want
as your only bike, but if you already own a big triple then the lack of
power is not an issue.

I have one good tip: road bike boots are not tough enough to ride off-raod -
use MX boots or suffer the same fate as me!

ride safe

Marc
Cape Town, RSA
06 Daytona 955 ( love that thing!)