Re: [St] Used Bike Tips (2)

Hey Bill,

One thing I forgot to mention, that has been touched on is the wiring
harnesses, particularly from the handlebar switch blocks.

An intermittent electrical fault (the best kind!) can develop as moisture
gets inside the outer sheath causing corrosion. Triumph used some interesting
little crimps in these harnesses. The wire will break, usually right at the
crimp, but as the harness is fairly tight, it will remain in contact - mostly! So
when you go to start the bike, it may be dead, it may be not. The fix is to
strip away the outer sheath, said crimps are about 6" - 8" from the switch
blocks. I replaced the crimps, soldered the joint and wrapped it in heat shrink. I
also rewrapped the outer sheath to prevent moisture entering.

As for two up touring, the Sprint is a comfy bike and the 99 - 04 series is
better for this than the 05+, IMHO. However, this bike has always had soft
suspension from the factory. The springs are usually done by about 40,000kms, less
if ridden hard. Bear in mind your 190kgs can easily go to 210kgs if you added
some luggage for a few days away. That certainly adds up once you factor in
the weight of the bike itself. So its well worth investing in springs rated for
this weight range and also improving the valving. If you plan on doing a lot
of two up riding and keeping the bike for a few years, its well worth the
investment to restore some handling and give you some confidence. Of course that
neatly flows on to tyre choice...

These two subjects have been discussed...ummm....quite a bit, so a search of
this forum or triumphrat.net will yeild more info than you can poke a stick
at!

Hope this helps.

Brett.