Re: [St] New spec for 2008 1050 ST

I tend to agree with Matt. While I have toured on a 647 Honda Hawk GT and felt it was lacking in many areas, I still thought it had potential. Once I got to my desitination and stripped all the touring gear off I loved ripping the twisties on that Hawk. With the right gearing, tuning and fuel capacity, I think that 675 could be quite interesting as a lightweight sport touring bike. Personally seeing it in a true D/S package would get me to seriously consider it. To create a "little Tiger" ala "little S3" (Street Triple) might not make me as interested, but something to compete with the KTM 650 would. Just my $.02.

  Todd

Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I did a whole lot of touring on my Yamaha Vision. Caliornia to Texas
isn't exactly short range. I never felt I was wringing every last bit
out of that motor and it was a 550 shaft drive. So I have to believe
a 675 these days is going to be a much stronger motor than that.

Maybe not what you'd want for two up touring, but certainly it would
be a great platform for a lightweight sport tourer. I still think the
Vision was my favorite touring bike. Sporty but comfortable.

On Feb 9, 2008, at 5:51 AM, Nathan Maher wrote:

> 675cc strikes me as just a bit undersized for even a short range
> tourer,
> especially if you don't want to have to be wringing every last bit of
> power out of the motor. Not saying it wouldn't be a heck of a lot of
> fun, I always kind of liked the concept of the MZ Scorpion. :)

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/
motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned