Re: [St] Corner Working

I started corner working for the Sports Car Club of America back in 1975.  Over the years I have met many of the greats in racing.  Most really appreciate that you are out there for free and will be the first to respond when they get in trouble.  It has resulted in me getting several great rides at speed.  I have gone 175 mph in John Weyer's first LeMans Ford GT40.  A pro Trans Am racer took me around Road America in his Cobra and we were within a couple of seconds of what the car was capable of.  I was squatting where the right seat would have been, holding on to the roll bar with no seat belts or helmet.  We were even temporarily a motorcycle through turn 9.  Hit the side pipes on my side.  Must have been the extra weight.  Truly a great/frightening experience.  When Formula 1 returned to the USA at Detroit I was offer the captaincy of one of the corners.  It was the weekend that my first child was to be born.  Fortunately she was a week late.

Congrats on taking on an exciting job.  Stick with it an you will have a lot of fun.  Take lots of sun screen as your days will be long.  Wear a hat.  I'm not bald, but burning that part of the body seems to hurt more than other parts.  DON'T DO ANYTHING YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH.  Being directed to a crash on a live track on a live track can be stupid and it is your butt.  Drivers/riders understand that what they are doing can be dangerous and don't want to see you hurt because of them.  The rules i worked under were; 1. protect yourself  2. protect your fellow corner worker 3. protect the spectator  4. protect the driver/rider  5. protect the car/bike, and in that order always.

Unfortunately age/maturity are catching up with me and now days I don't do it as often as I should.  Again, congrats and have fun.

Gary