Re: [St] Not quite a tire thread.......

George,

You want three things. First, go get the Plug and go
compact kit. Not sure if that is the exact name or
not, but its close. They have a mushroom plug that
inserts from the outside and then spreads out, like a
toggle bolt, on the inside of the tire, and an
ingenoius little tool to get it in there. This is your
most expensive purchase, at about $40. Aerostitch has
them. Next, get a cheap regular rope patch kit, throw
that stuff in the plug and go  bag, that's another
$3-5 bucks. And also a pressure gauge. Now go buy a
small, cheap 12v compressor from a place like Harbor
Frieght. Their's in particular works great for this
application. Another $6-7 bucks. Open it up, and take
the guts out of the plastic shell. Shorten the hose to
about half of its original length. Remove the pressure
dial and plug that hole. Shorten the power cord to a
length that will reach either of your tires, or the
bike next to yours, from your battery or tender
harness. Leaving the switch, if equipped, in place is
optional. I ditched mine, just more space. Solder on
either alligator clips or a plug that fits whatever
accessory harness you may have on your bike ( Mine all
have the Battery Tender Harness, i forget what it is
called). Find a cheap Nylon bag to stuff the
compressor in and you are done. You now have the tools
to fix any repairable flat, and for all intensive
purposes an unlimited supply of air.

The compressor is about the size of two packs of
cigarrettes, and will inflate a completely empty rear
tire in 7-8 minutes. This seemd like an eternity in my
garage next to my big compressor when I was testing
it, but on the side of the road it beats just about
anything. I have pics of the compressor, ping me off
list if anyone wants to see them...

John