Re: [St] Justice finally? NOT!!!

Hey John,

I feel I need to ask a question here. What happens to
the average driver that kills someone else due to
negligent homicide in a car- car accident? I am not up
on the statistics, so cannot speak knowledgeably. My
perception, however, is this: Statistically, a higher
percentage of deaths will occur from car-moto
accidents than car car accidents, becuase of the lack
of protection the rider has. That being said, in the
same " she just turned left in front of him" accident,
the rider is much more likely to die than the driver
of another car. OK, if I am the driver of the
offending car, here is my point of view: I turn left
in front of someone and cause an accident. With
another car, driver survives, with a bike, rider does
not. I dont mean to minimize my guilt or remorse, both
of which would be significant, but even though I would
feel worse about the rider because he is dead, does
that justify more penalty on my end? It was his choice
to ride a bike. If the typical punishment for
negligent vehicuklar homicide is jail time, then fine,
jail time it is. My point is that the driver of the
offending vehicle should not be penalized more because
the victim was on a bike. Not more, but certainly not
less either. The same. If this has already been stated
and I have missed it then never mind.

John ( who is stuck in the office today and doesnt
want to write a difficult quote... )