Re: [St] Not quite a tire thread.......

On the subject of compressors or electric air pumps, remember that these
devices can fail, like any other mechanical device.

I carry a compact electric pump and notice that it does get very hot in about
ten minutes of continuous use. As a backup I also carry CO2 bottles. Three of
the small ones will give you about 15psi in a Sprint rear tyre. Enough to get
you rolling again (slowly) to get out of trouble.

I also carry the rope type repair kit. A few things to remember when using
these - when inserting the rope repair, use plenty of glue, squirt more of it
into the repair after you have removed the tool. Rotate the tyre so the repair
is at the top and leave for at least 15mins, preferably longer. Longer again if
the weather is cool, before attempting to inflate the tyre.

Once the glue is cured, using a very sharp knife, carefully trim the excess
rope as close to the tyre surface as possible. DO NOT leave any "tail" hanging
out. If you do, it will not wear out on the road. The friction will remove the
rope from the hole and you will experience a rapid, close to instant deflate.
This happened to me at about 90kph as I was rolling on for a sweeping right
hander. I knew I was alive that day!

Something I find surprising is how many riders dont carry a tyre repair kit.
My kit has been used more for other peoples bikes than my own.

Brett.