Re: [St] Fw: Justice finally? NOT!!!

Since Adam was one of my best friends it is not possible for me to be
objective.

I understand that giving up driving when you get older is a hardship
and I am not looking forward to it myself. That being said driving is
a privilege and not a right.

The current system for old drivers in the US seems to be that they
have few fender benders and then perhaps decide it is time to stop
driving. The other option is that family members convince them to stop
driving. Neither of these is a good system. I would like to see
drivers above a certain age have to take a road test. Whatever their
age if they are deemed fit to drive then great. Obviously there will
be an expense involved with this. On top of that the AARP have huge
lobbying power in the US.

As far as the woman who killed Adam money was not an issue for her. I
will never know if she knew she should not be driving and was just
being selfish. I do know that at her first appearance in court the
victims advocate was shocked at how frail she was. I understand that
sending her to jail at her age would have been pointless. However
since Adam's widow was advised to settle with her insurance company
the only financial hit she took was hiring a lawyer. The $500 she had
to pay was a joke. Further if I have not called the local newspaper
she would have been able to sweep the fact that she was convicted
under the carpet. What I would have liked to see was that community
service, in the form of going to old age homes or/and churches and
talking about the issue of deciding when to stop driving, was part of
her sentence.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest
Rupert