Re: [St] new owner, tire repair vs. replacement on a st?

Paul Traina wrote:
> Found a nail in my ST's rear tire this morning.  I'm really really new
> to motorcycles.  Did some googling, and (obviously) tire repair on
> bikes is a lot more critical than on cars.
> The tread is good, the tire has only 2k miles on it, the hole looks
> clean.
>
> 1) repair vs. replace?  -- is a repaired tire on a ST using a plug/
> patch going to be safe?
> 2) have it done at the satan? -- normally with a car, I'd go down to
> the tire repair place and be done in 20m... what's sane with a bike?
> take it to the satan (dealership) for repair & rebalance?
>
> Thanks.  Sigh.  I wonder what day 2 of ownership is going to bring me.

Paul,

You're likely to get a wide variety of responses.  Some say put the plug in it
(a mushroom type from the inside works well) and some will say replace it as you
only have two wheels on a bike and safety is paramount.

I've repaired a couple and if the puncture is near the center of the tire, clean
and a good quality plug and job is done it "should" be safe.  No mc dealer that
I know of will repair and remount a punctured tire, there's just too much
liability on such a job.

Then you've got to decide how comfortable you are going to be with the repair
vs. replace.  Are you always gonna be worried/wondering about that repair or can
you just let it go and ride?

Sorry it's not a clear cut answer but it's a very personal decision.

Best,

--

                                ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
            -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\