Re: [St] new owner, tire repair vs. replacement on a st?

There is a knack to using the thread or rope?type of repair kit.

Make sure you "reem" out the hole with the abrasion tool before attempting to put the repair?rope in.

Use plenty of glue.

After inserting the thread, give the tool a twist before removing it.

Using a?VERY sharp knife, trim the excess of the thread as close to the tyre as possible.

After trimming, squirt some more glue into the repair and rotate the tyre so the repair is at the top and the glue doesnt run out.

Allow half an hour, longer if its cold, for the glue to set.

WARNING! - If you dont trim the excess rope down to the tyre, you run the risk of the rope being pulled out from the hole. This will result in an almost instant deflate of the tyre.

Yes, I learnt this the hard way but stayed upright.

Also be aware that if you use the CO2 bottles to get you out of trouble, three of the smaller type?will give you about 15psi in the rear tyre, which is just enough to ride on, but the tyre will heat up.

Hope this helps.

Brett.?