Re: [St] About a Flat Tire.

yikes, you have bigger balls than I, sir.
I would have only ridden it the 17 miles to the pay phone if I was otherwise dying.
On Jul 8, 2008, at 12:59 PM, Karl Clark wrote:

Subject: [St] Annoying flat today

I was racing along the back country one friday noon and came thru a turn where someone had tossed a bottle - broken glass in the road, and I punctured a new ( <500 miles) 2CT I had on the back. Took it about 30 seconds to go down.
My friends rode to town and came back with plugs and Fix-a-Flat. The hole was too small and the plugs broke every time we tried to shove one in. Fix-a-Flat was worthless.
I rode to town on a flat back tire. Speeds up to 60mph was as fast as I dared to go but I think I could have gone faster but 60 is fast enough on a flat tire. The tire was equally squashed on either side of the rim.
Turning though was another matter. I slowed down to the recommended speed for the curves and more like steered thru the turn. Once I tried to lean it the back rim bit down on the rubber and the back wanted to walk out on me. No leaning and It was fine.
12 miles and it didn't even have wear marks where the rim was riding. HOT tire but track days make em hotter. I venture I could have ridden all the way home if I was careful, about 70 miles.
Came out of Bike Night a couple of weeks ago and the front-end felt really heavy. Rode thru the parking lot and got on the highway ~ about 50 mph the front started to wobble (think tank-slapper!) so I brought it down to about 35 or so and got off. Front was almost flat. Rode to a fueling station that was open and put air in it. Front tire pressure regestered 10-lbs when I started and was only able to get 35 in it. 30 minutes later when I got off the highway it was really heavy again but I rode it the 2 more miles to home.
Flat Back Tire ~ ride it in and no leaning!
Flat Front Tire - more of a gamble you might dump it but slow and no leaning will get you out of a tight spot.
-
-