From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Wallander
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:02 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [St] motorcycle towing services/insurance roundup (US)

I have the Motow through the AMA.  I pay the extra and it includes all
my cars too.  (total $60.00 plus the AMA membership).

Last year, I ran out of gas (the tank was completely dry at 170 miles -
no idea what happened) in the middle of Montana, no-one around, but I
had cell service.  Called MoTow which said they had no providers near
me, but to hold.  Came back 20 minutes later and said a truck was on the
way.

I was stopped for a total of 50 minutes.  The truck came with 5 gallons
of gas and I paid nothing.

I've never had a bike towed by them, but I do know people who have.  I
haven't heard any complaints about their service, though I'm sure there
are some out there.

I don't think we need to re-invent the wheel here.  If you are an AMA
member already, MoTow would seem to be the service to have.  If you
don't want to join the AMA, there are other options as your research has
found.

Dan Wallander
Rio Rancho, NM  87124

What I've found so far:

AAA has an "AAA RV Plus" membership in some states, which is primarily
for RV's (motor homes), but also includes ATVs and most importantly
motorcycles.
Opinions on the service are mixed, not incredibly favorable, with huge
variations in regional service.

MTS towing (mts-towing.com) claims to be a "AAA-like" service with
7000+ towing companies affiliated with them.
I've read elsewhere that coverage can be spotty, and after looking at
their website, where they claim to be "motorcycle only", the fine print
in their policy was lifted straight from a car towing policy and had
lots of stuff N/A to motorcycles.  Makes me worried.
"If you break down on the road that prevents you from proceeding, we
will have you picked up with the right equipment and taken to the
nearest motorcycle repair facility. MTS will cover the tow according to
which plan you chose."
PREMIER PLANS - MTS pays for the first $300 of your tow from point of
pickup to point of delivery. Coverage is for two motorcycles only.
Each additional motorcycle is $5.00 per year extra. All motorcycles must
be registered with MTS. Only 1980 and newer motorcycles are eligible for
coverage.
  Single Membership, 1 Year $89.95
DELUXE PLANS - MTS covers the first $150.00 of the tow from point of
pickup to point of delivery. Coverage is for two motorcycles only.
Each additional motorcycle is $5.00 per year extra. All motorcycles must
be registered with MTS. Only 1980 and newer motorcycles are eligible for
coverage.
  Single Membership, 1 Year $49.95

Bros Club (brosclub.com) also provides emergency roadside services and
towing.
Service - Our nationwide network of more than 40,000 motorcycle-savvy
flat-bed service providers are ready to serve you. In your own home town
or across the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico, Bros Club is there for you.
Benefits - Members are eligible to receive up to 5 emergency service
calls each year and FREE TRANSPORT for up to 35 miles per service call!
Yes, we'll take you home or drop you off at your favorite local repair
shop or dealer.
$85/year

American Motorcyclist Association
MoTow: People who know how to tow motorcycles, available 24 hours a day,
in all 50 states plus Puerto Rico and Canada. Just $25 a year covers ALL
of your motorcycles.
* Towing up to 35 miles by a vehicle equipped to handle motorcycles *
All dispatch and hook-up fees included * MoTow pays; you don't have to
pay first and wait for reimbursement.
* Emergency fuel delivery
* No exclusions for older motorcycles
* Up to five claims per year
* Have your disabled motorcycle towed to a shop or your home, at your
choice * Emergency Trip Interruption service: up to $100 in
reimbursement for meals and lodging if your motorcycle is disabled in an
accident * 800# assistance available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year,
from two national call centers

http://www.motorcycleroadside.com/
A (free) website directory of tow services that can handle motorcycles.
Appears to be auto towers with flatbed trucks.