Re: [St] Gas mileage, a new bike selling trend

At 05:21 PM 5/29/2008, you wrote:

Thats something that has always troubled me about the internal combustion engine. Essentiallly it hasnt changed much since it was invented. Some vehicles are less enfficient now than those that have gone before. I seem to recall reading of several engineers in the US and Europe that were quite miffed at the inefficient design, not only heat loss but also the conventional layout of piston/crank/cams. So far it seems the mass producers have resisted changing to another design or making the current design more efficient.

Bertt.

Part of it is that many people still expect one little change to make a major difference on how the engine will perform. People don't want smaller cars, for lots of reasons. Not to mention that most of the car manufacturers had a negative response to emissions controls.
The powertrain of a vehicle (be it a truck, bus, train, car or motorcycle) is system. If all the parts of the system are matched and designed to be as absolutely efficient as possible, then some real improvements in mileage, performance and emissions could me made.
Here are some of the bits that could improve the efficiency of an internal combustion engine.
1. Use heat barrier materials (ceramic composite cylinders and other coatings) to maintain as much heat as possible in the combustion chamber, this will drive peak pressures up. Which will increase both the peak torque generated as well as the total work done by each combustion stroke. This would also reduce the power lost to the water pump and cooling fans.
2. Use the waste heat flowing out of the exhaust for two things. One, electrical power generation through some peltier bridge modules, these modules will take heat and make electricity from it. The secondary improvement is that the vehicle's alternator can be smaller and require less power operate as well. Two, low pressure turbocharging, which will improve/limit/optimize the filling of the cylinders, further improving the combustion efficiency, so again there will be more peak torque and total power from each combustion stroke.
3. Use some sort of combustion catalyst (like maybe one of these supplemental hydrogen injection systems) to make sure that as close to 100% of the fuel injected into the cylinder is completely oxidized (or burned/combusted,....whatever). Less of the primary fuel would be required since so much more of its potential energy is going to be utilized.
Hell, if the efficiency of combustion and utilization of the Joules of heat that were liberated was maximized, we might not even need a primary fuel as energy dense as gasoline to power our vehicles.
If that changed enough, it could also effect the longevity of our petroleum use!
In the end though one thing, one discovery is not going to fix this problem. It's going to take lots of changes, some big, some not to resolve this.

Now just to make you think some more about this wasted heat, what about braking losses?
Conventional brakes take kinetic energy and convert it through friction into heat, wasting more of that combustion liberated energy. If someone was to design a secondary device in the power train that would engage a clutch (along with the conventional brakes for safety) and spin a secondary alternator, more of what is currently 'wasted' heat could be recovered as electricity.
Throw in some peltier devices into the brake rotors on the wheels and two things will happen. One, the heat generated by the braking friction (and remember we are talking rotors getting cherry red on panic stops) will be converted into electric power that can be stored in batteries. Second, the bridges convert the heat to electricity so the Joules of heat are removed from the rotor, this acts as a cooling system, reducing brake fade, improving stopping power and consistency.

Are all these ideas that could be put into vehicle in the next year? No,but if a manufacturer really wanted to it could be in 3-5 years.

Would a vehicle with these innovations cost more than a similar sized conventional machine, You bet.
But I can bet you that it would have better gas mileage (probably close to double or triple the best of the current conventional IC designs), less emissions and probably be fun to own as well.

JohnS A Dragon Ascending "Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"