[St] Was George W - Now Gas / Oil Discussion

Kevin Dicks wrote:

That said there will always be a finite amount of oil that can be extracted
on a daily basis and it clearly is a case of supply and demand and right not
demand is exceeding supply. That is simple economics. My big beef is the
way oil companies are making truly obscene profits AND raking in huge
subsidies and tax breaks. As I said, huge profits OR tax breaks/subsidies,
choose one.

Is approximately 7 % a huge profit? If you use Exxon as an example, their profit in dollar amounts is huge (and obscene if you just look at that number), but they are an absolutely ENORMOUS company. I believe if you break down the numbers, their profit is running at around 7 %. I wonder what Microsoft's is? Or a variety of drug companies? Maybe some of you know those figures. There is the question of tax incentives and whether they should be there, but the oil industry isn't the only one that gets them . . . . The media scuttlebutt is that the oil speculators are the ones that are keeping the price of oil so high at the moment, not that if it dropped the new price would be considered reasonable by most of us. . . . Believe me when I say I am not taking up for anyone here, but I do believe in knowing the facts and that a company is allowed a profit. I am not looking for someone to "blame", either, other than all of us. This world is the way we've made it, and as such, sometimes we reap the rewards, and at other times, we get to swallow a bitter pill . . . . I think we're starting to realize that our dependency on oil is more of the latter. . . . . And it won't change overnight. . . .

Now, for some related motorcycle questions, I would like to see what mileage others with the 1050 STs are getting? I want to say that my bike says its getting around 39 miles to the gallon, but I only flashed past is a couple of times this weekend when we took our 125 mile ride in 101 degree weather, with smiles on our faces the whole time ;-)! I'll go look at the bike and get its exact number later . . . .

BTW, all of you who are not on the digest, when you reply, please delete the extraneous parts of the prior messages. It makes it much easier for those on the Digest to read it! Thanks. . . .

Lisa