Re: [St] The Sprint ST is back

When the ignition switch fell out of my '06 the pinched wire (just one)
shorted to the frame and took out one of the lighting fuses (markers and
horn?). I just patched the wire (heat shrink tubing with waterproof
sealant inside) and used the Loctite / socket head cap screw method to
replace the ridiculous inverted Torx screws the factory uses to mount
the switch. No problem since.

Mike
'06 ST
Seattle

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Edward Neu <edwardneu@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I wrote a while ago about the stalling and ultimate inability to start
of my
> 2001 Spint ST (BRG, the most temperamental color). Well, it is back
again. I
> followed the suggestions of those on this list, the O ring on the
stepper
> switch, fuel filter, etc. Still bare ran if at all.
>
> Off to the dealer I went. I authorized $250 in labor to explore, and
they
> called and said it was the ignition switch, which they replaced. I
went to
> pick up the bike and paid $700 (SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS!). When they
went to
> bring the bike around it would not run, it appeared to be running on 1
or
> two cylinders only.
>
> A week later, they said they changed the spark plugs that have fouled
as a
> result of the intermittent ignition switch failure. That all seemed
unlikely
> to me, but it is running like a champ now. I am slowly trying to
regain
> confidence in its reliability.
>
> The curious thing is that they were explaining that the ignition
switch is
> held on by special bolts. A few year ago, the special bolts fell out
and I
> replaced them with allen bolts and locktite. According to the mechanic
the
> ignition switch cut off when the handlebars were in a certain
position.

> Ed

NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.