[St] Frame sliders

It's very interesting that torque is now critical. The fitting instructions I got with my R&G sliders did not mention torque at all ! Does this mean that R&G have not researched their product before they marketed it? or is there a mis-print on the instructions? In that case, how can they blame incorrect torque? how can they even test the torque setting after a crash? when the slider has damaged the frame the torque reading will have changed anyway. For the record, because there was no setting given in the instructions, I used the standard setting for the engine mounting bolts (as per the Haynes manual ISBN 1 85960 755 1) that is, 95Nm. However, I am not an engineer, but I suspect that when you have to hold the slider with an open spanner on one side of the bike and torque from the other, getting an exact torque setting might not happen, because of possible movement of the spanner.

From: "Robert" <robertr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [St] Frame Sliders  - Protective wear
To: <st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We've been working with R&G on this one. We have a tame Triumph dealer and
have checked several customer bikes.

Per my previous reply, my 04 ST went down the road at substantial speed with
no more than abrasion damage to the Puck and lower fairing.

So far we can not come up with a definitive answer but....

Incomplete tests SUGGEST that torque is critical. If the bolt is not
tightened enough there can be sufficient movement to cause a problem if
there is a sudden deceleration rather than sliding. If over tightened there
is also the potential.