Re: [St] New GPS

On 26 Jun 2008, at 00:15, Peter Kroeker wrote:

I've also been considering a GPS but I've been reluctant so far since I am not directionally challenged so I'm not sure how much benefit I'd get. I only do one or two big tours a year where I might even think of getting lost.

One useful side-effect of the Zumo is it keeps a log of the route you actually take, which you can then upload into various mapping apps (e.g. Garmin's own, Google Earth, RouteBuddy and others). I've just got back from a scoot around Europe (London, Toulouse, Milan, Italian Alps, French Alps, London - plus two all-day business meetings, all within 7 days...) - and I've had fun comparing the route I ended up taking with that which I planned... seems to include a few more passes than I had intended to do... :)

I do have a question for experienced GPSers. Can you select a route then download it? When I plan a tour, I do all sorts of research into what route I want to take then follow the map there. I suppose I could enter a bunch of waypoints along the route to force the unit to use the roads I want but that seems a little silly.

Yes. How well this works depends a bit on either your patience or the cleverness of your mapping software. The tricky bit is the Zumo (and all Garmins I believe) treats routes as a series of way-points only. You can't enter an actual route - just lots of starts / finishes. You rely on the Zumo to fill in the gaps - and it doesn't necessarily pick the route you want it to. e.g. in the Italian Alps the interesting mountain roads were in the Zumo OK (it has very detailed maps built in!), but when you put in a start / finish, the Zumo tried very hard to avoid the mountain roads... ended up having to put in lots of obscure way-points to force the device to stay in mountains. This was very tedious on the Zumo itself. Would have been much easier on a computer and then downloading. And fortunately this is just what the various computer apps let you do.

The software that comes with the Zumo is OK but only works on Windows computers. If you use Macs Garmin have some software in development, but it is still a pretty rough beta (search for Bobcat on the Garmin pages) though I guess it will be good eventually. Until then an app called Route Buddy works well - but outside USA is frighteningly expensive (due to need to buy maps for each country in Europe separately - vs. one cost for all of North America...). You can also use Google Earth - but I've not yet worked out how to get it play nicely when uploading stuff. But none have anything nearly as clever as the 'blue line' drag to re-route feature of Google Maps. I'm guessing that an expert could save a blue-line route and then somehow turn it into a route. Would be cool to know... anyone? Anyway - the issue of a route being lots of mini-routes between points still applies - so you need either to get your software to put in lots of way-points or do it manually.

HTH.

In passing - does anyone else with a Zumo know what the 'Detour' button is for? Looks / sounds good. But can't work out what it does... I guess I should read the manual ...

Regards

Gavin Lawrie

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183. Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/