Re: [St] Insurance (no ST content, rant)

The other part that bugs me about insurance in the USA is the huge
contrast in premiums between states that require insurance and those
that don't.
>From personal experience: Male, 42 years old, non smoker, clean driving
record. Through Progressive, decent coverage, living in Seattle WA
(mandatory insurance state), '98 Ford Mustang Cobra: $2350/year.
EXACTLY the same policy, living in Phoenix AZ (insurance optional
state), same car, etc.: $435/year.
Roughly the same size town. EXACTLY the same coverage, driver, vehicle,
etc.: 400% price difference.
Why and how is that legal? I thought there were antitrust laws
preventing such things. Oh, yea, we're talking about government
sanctioned price gouging so it must be legal.

Mike
'06ST
Seattle

-----Original Message-----
From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Wetherington
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:26 AM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [St] Insurance

rlnm2000@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> A guy I work with is thinking of getting a 2006 Yamaha R6.  He talked
to someone with Progressive (supposedly) and was quoted $7000/yr.  I'm
not sure of the coverage he was asking for, but he tryed scaling it down
a bit but it was still $4000/yr.

> IMO THAT'S INSANE.  I thought Progressive was decent motorcycle
insurer.  I used them for my 2000 Sprint RS and my insurance was only
$360/yr.

> Does anyone know if insurance for R6 type sport bikes is really that
insanely high or was he being taken?

> Rich

Rich,
LOTS of factors go into insurance for bikes.  One of the biggest, at
least with Progressive, is the style of bike and the model's history of
claims.  I'm guessing that the R6 is a very popular bike for getting
wrecked, and that your coworker is younger than 35 or so.  This means
astronomical insurance rates.  When I got my Sprint, I got several
quotes in the $3,000-5,000 range (keep in mind I was 24).  Progressive
was one of the lowest, but I still ended up paying over $1,000 for the
first year.  It has since dropped, but my premiums are still over $700
per year for full coverage.

The insane part is that, if instead of paying insurance you put the
premium $$ into a savings account, you could buy the bike new in less
than a year!  I know it doesn't cover medical costs or legal costs, but
that's why insurance companies suck...

NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)=
 and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized=
 review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the=
 intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy al=
l copies of the original message.