Jonathan West

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 05:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Boudreaux <steveboudreaux@xxxxxxxxx>

I know what usually happens when lower-octane gas is used, but one near-full tank fill recently, I tried mid-grade fuel.  No detonation that I could hear, power was still fine.  I also know that a vehicle's miles per GALLON drops a bit when using a lower octane fuel, but it's miles per DOLLAR is actually better with the lower octane/less expensive fuel.

  I wonder: if one were doing a mostly Interstate highway trip, not carrying a pillion or excess luggage/gear, and planning on going about the traffic pace (say, 70 to 80 mph), would a Sprint do fine on regular fuel for that trip?  Anyone have any experience with this?