Re: [St] Don't jump start

The reason for connecting the chassis cable last is to reduce the risk
of shorting out the battery.
When you've got one cable connected, dropping the other one or
mis-handling it means it is most likely to contact chassis so it's best
if you connect the non-chassis one first while the risk is lower.

That probably isn't too clear but I nobody wants a thesis!

BTW -ve is chassis on most vehicles these days I believe.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> kahonas@xxxxxxxxx 17/03/2008 02:29:52 >>>
As would I.  Both are 12V systems, just one has a significantly higher
amount of amperage available.  I've jumped using a running car.  I
survived,
as did my bike.  Talking about transients and such, it shouldn't matter
if
the negative cable to the bike is connected last, right?