Re: [St] The Future of Motorcycling

On Mar 22, 2008, at 9:37 AM, Joel Ashman wrote:
> If you simply put a non locking rear in the quad and lower it, it
> would work
> great on the road and be no less safe (maybe more so) than a bike.

If people were smart enough to wear leathers, gloves, helmet and
boots while riding them they would be as safe as a motorcycle. Not
being a motorcycle, the gear won't be required even in states that
require helmets for motorcyclists. Quads are also far more likely to
high side you and those are the kind of accidents that hurt.

Make them sit lower and they're going to be much less visible to
other motorists, and the visibility for the driver is going to be
pretty bad. That's one thing I really like about riding the KLR in
traffic, you have a pretty good view over other vehicles. Even though
I can fall over, I'd feel safer riding a bike than a quad.

That supercharged car that someone posted the video of looked fun,
but I wouldn't want to drive something like that on the street unless
everyone else was. Too easy to disappear behind someone else. We have
that problem in our Del Sol all the time, not to mention losing it in
parking lots because it's hidden by just about anything else.

Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707)
786-4643