[St] Stranded on a ST

I have a 2001 Sprint ST (BRG).  I am the original owner and just had to be
towed back to my shop!  I used to subscribe and contribute to this list many
trouble free miles ago.

* Warning some of the below may be irrelevant to my problem. *

I recently changed the battery.  Since I changed the battery, the bike would
sometimes stall when leaving a stop.  I was able to compensate for this by
increasing the RPM, but this was something that never happened before.  Please
note the previous battery was changed (original  7 years old) but still was
functional.
I don't believe that my ability to operate the bike was drastically changed.

The final trip, this stalling happened at every light,  Finally, it was very
hard to start and would only run for a few seconds.  The tach seemed to jump
about independent of the RPMS.  After the expensive process of having the
biked towed it started right up and seemed to run, but I did n ot take an
extended trip.   Maybe heat related?

I have the factory manual but no gameboy.

I also think this bike is running rich, sooty exhaust.

Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Ed