Re: [St] [ST]alternator troubles: follow up

At 03:05 AM 5/14/2008, you wrote:

All,

Here is the follow up for now:

One of the three stator coil is fried. That explain why the coils are now connected
to the ground. It is a triangle arrangement by the way. The insulation has melted on
one core of this coil. I have two options: rewire or buy a new one.

I now have to double check the regulator/rectifier. I will simulate the stator w/ a transformer
w/ a big condenser + power resistor as the load. A bulb could also be ok.
Now I have to figure out how a bad rectifier could have fried one coil. In fact as
only one coil is out, I can only suspect one or two diodes of the rectifier. I can't imagine the price
of stator+regulator/rectifier. My bike was bought new in August 2002 that is 5 years and half.
Re-wirering is probably the best option but painful. Plus the core insulator is melted. Epoxy
+ thin glass fiber (50 gr/m2) can probably fix that.

The bike will stay a long time in the garage I think.

Fred

Fred, any dc motor shop can probably rewind your stator in a pinch.
On the regulator issue I would not touch it, just replace it.
And here is why, all the diodes have been stressed and abused at this point. Just because only one has failed does not mean that the others are not going to cascade fail in another week or so.
Just replace the R&R and either get a new stator or get it rewound by someone that knows DC motors.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"