[St] Trailering

Luckily, this trailer does not have "donuts" for tires (10' single axel utility trailer), which was a major factor in our purchasing it and which is why I was surprised at what happened, especially since we've done 600+ mile days with the trailer loaded before at similar speeds with not even an inkling of an issue. We made sure of the speed the tires were rated for when we installed them. However, the tires are over 5 years old and are kept outside. They won't last forever. There was no visible dry rot on them and the tread still looked very good, but, evidently, there were issues, that came to light. . . . . I am still thankful that the tire held its air!!!! That will teach me to replace the tires every couple of years, whether they look like the need it or not!! Some damage is not visible to the naked eye. . . . .

As for the tie downs, the last thing I did before leaving Albuquerque was to tighten the tie downs, and the first think I did after backing the trailer into the garage in Houston was let the tension out. I've had a good teacher in my mechanical engineer husband ;-).

Yes, it's killing Richard to know that the bikes are in the garage and he can't ride them yet! I'll take pictures before we unload and of our first ride. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Lisa