Re: [St] Extra Fuel - interesting aside

The UK leave you to your own devices at filling stations too.  You can
even put your credit card in the pump and leave your lid on.

Just come back from Joburg where your bonnet gets put up and the levels
checked - that took me back several decades!

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> BrettWilson21@xxxxxxx 24/05/2008 01:13:36 >>>
Wow! This list can be so edjoocational sometimes.

I've never heard of mandatory service anywhere! Customer service in
general
is pretty much dead on the island of Oz.

Self service fuel stations have been around for decades on this island.
The
general public resisted the idea at the time, but it meant the station
could
employ less people. Now we're stuck with being upsold on all sorts of
trickets
and snacks and other crap when you go inside to pay for your fuel. Its
amazing
how they wont take no for an answer.
"Just the fuel thank you, no I dont want anything else".
"Are you sure sir, two for one?"
"Didint I just say no?"
It seems you have to be very rude to get your fuel paid for and get out
of
there.
I try to go to stations with pay by credit card at the pump so I dont
have to
take my helmet off, but this can be hit and miss.

Another thing I find interesting - with petrol hitting $1.70 per litre
in
metro areas and rising, one thing people wont do is change their
driving habits.
A family car costs $100 to fill, but still all those short trips to the
shops
remain. No car pooling, walking somewhere is not even a consideration.
People
still want their big vehicles.
Those who trade in this stuff must be laughing their heads off!

Anyway, sorry for the highjack. If there was a neat way of putting
extra fuel
on my ST, I would do it. Extra fuel cells under the rear fairing on
either
side of the seat would be nice and neat, but theres really nothing
available to
make it worthwhile.

Brett.