Re: [St] Gas mileage, a new bike selling trend

At 05:15 PM 5/28/2008, you wrote:
This debate really seems to be growing legs around the world now.
So far it seems we are in a bit of a pickle when it comes to energy especially since we have had it so good for so long.

At the moment, it seems there is nothing to replace the most widely used fuel we use. That is, nothing gives the bang for your buck that petrol (gasoline) gives. By "buck" I mean the energy value of the fuel. There are alternatives, but weight for weight, litre for litre etc, the energy output is less and so far every alternative still relys on fossil fuels at some point in its cycle.
You have that right gasoline is a very energy dense fuel. There is no other fuel that is as easy to carry with anywhere near the density of gasoline.
However with that being said, the current usage of gasoline in most Internal combustion engines is not efficient, as most of the combustion energy is lost as nothing but heat to exhaust. Most current engines struggle to be 30% efficient, between the heat lost and the incomplete combustion. I mean if combustion of the fuel was complete, the exhaust would be full of CO2 and H20 vapors with only a few traces of the dangerous emmissions. There would be no need for catalytic converters!
That is why I'm keeping my eyes and ears on the technologies to reduce or utilize the heat and increase the efficiency of the system.

As has been mentioned, the idea of using food crops as fuel crops is ridiculous. Besides the obvious competition that would create food shortages as well as making staple foods a luxury item, the idea of converting all the petrol driven vehicles on the road (some seven hundred million of them!) to run on fuel made from corn would require a landmass the size of the continent of Africa to meet demand.

It would seem that we may well be on the dawn of a radical change in our way of life. The days of flicking a switch? and taking it all for granted could be coming to an end.

-----Original Message----- From: JES_VFR <jes_vfr@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Thu, 29 May 2008 12:23 am Subject: Re: [St] Gas mileage, a new bike selling trend

At 06:53 AM 5/28/2008, you wrote:?

>It's this right there that makes me nervous.?

>?

>New technology costs money and time.  Plus, it will take time to build the?

>support for this new technology (trained mechanics, not to mention fueling?

>stations).  I'm not keen on making that big a jump.  What I think needs to?

>be done is a new fuel that works with our current vehicles needs to be?

>created (and forget this ethanol crap...I like my corn and corn prices where?

>they are).?

><snip>?

>I'm not saying that research shouldn't be done, but practicality needs to be?

>taken into account. The way things are now, filling my tank hurts. I don't?

>want to think about bringing another car payment into the mix.?

>?

>David?
?

Well like it or not, changing fuels is going to be a major
investment. Your either going to have to buy a new car or spend a
large sum to convert your old car. This change is not going to be
without some personal investments.?

I mean look Hydrogen buring cars and electric cars have been around
since I was 5 or 6, but the generation & storage of the potential
energy has been the problem.?
?

I think that we are close to having something other than gasoline to
run our cars and bikes on. What will it be? I don't know, I'm not
sure that anyone is certain.?
?

JohnS?

A Dragon Ascending?

"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"?
?

Send list posts to ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx?

Change your list options at www.Triumphnet.com?