Re: [St] Fun Filled Friday.

I'll Have a pint of what you were drinking last night please!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Bardell" <bardelld@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 03:48
Subject: Re: [St] Fun Filled Friday.

Karl,

They say a bad day on the bike beats a good day at work, but after reading this, I'm not too sure!!

I came upon a buzzard feasting on road kill on my way home from an MSF class. I slowed down as he took flight and just as I got next to him, another one took off from the bank on my right. Had an escort on each side of me for awhile, but lucky for me, neither felt the need to lighten the load to gain altitude.... What was even weirder was on the way to teach class that morning, I had a bird fly out of the woods and smack me directly on the side of the helmet, looking in the mirrr, all I could see was a cloud of feathers. Shook my head a few times and continued into a right hand turn only to see a white rabbit with pink eyes hopping up the center of the road towards me.
Strange day!!

Dave Bardell

Karl Clark wrote:
So I went motorcycling today.
9:00AM
Headed out west of Fort Worth then south at Aledo.
Meandered around and out by the Moncrief ranch I stopped at a wide spot in the road and stretch my legs.
4 or 5 trucks drove by but only 1 stopped to see if I needed help.
-
I kept going, headed south on 51 then south-west on tin top road.
10:15AM
At Tin Top I decided to take a right to see where that road goes.
It's a wide road but an old road.
I'm just tooling along about 40 or 50 and I come around a right hander, Trees overhanging the road.
>From the ditch a Buzzard!
It flaps it's wings once and is in front of me about 50' away.
I'm on the brakes
I swerve over to the left a bit.
The Buzzard flaps it's wings a second time, and is now about even with my knees.
I'm in the middle of the road down to 40,
I see that I'm going to miss the bird,
By a foot or two.
It flaps it's wings a third time,
Just as I'm passing it, it's 2 to 3 feet to my right
I feel it brush up against by shin as I go by.
Phew that was close.
I know someone that nailed a wild turkey at 70.
Broke his motorcycle.
What brushed my shin?
Wing ?
No, the bird must have been at 50 degrees bank away from me
The wing was way up.
The birds feet / foot / talon?
Maybe.
Oh, I hope it wasn't "lightening the load" while trying to gain altitude.
Ever see a goose?
I'd better look and see.
Ewwww - what the hell is that all over my jeans!
Stopping - off the bike! Holy shit what's that stench!
Smells like rotting meat on the grill !
I'm no longer hungry for lunch, or the rest of the day for that matter.
The dam bird puked! Up-Chucked!
Barfed!
Regurgitated !
Half of the puke is on me, and the other half is on the exhaust, cooking.
Oh god, I wanna throw up it smells so bad.
I pick up a stick and start scraping what I can off of me.
I move up wind of the cooking puke.
I get another stick and keep at it.
I get another stick and scrape what I can off the exhaust..
I need a spatula or one of those steel SOS pads.
I need a power washer.
I could describe the appearance but I don't think you want me to.
-
Finally I've done what I can and I'm getting the hell out of here.
Get that stench behind me in the slip stream.
-
I go up the road and it takes me back to I-20 in Weatherford.
I turn around and head back to Tin Top.
I'm thinking about lunch again.
-
Once a few months ago I stopped at a Gas Station & Grill in Bluff Dale for a late lunch.
I got the hamburger, but I saw someone eating a Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich.
That's where I'm going for lunch.
No Buzzard Barf is going to deter me.
They might kick me out for stinking up the place though.
-
12:15
I'm buzzing along about 60 or 70
And
Down the back of my neck
About 2 or 3 inches below the top of my jacket
I feel something a lot like a bee sting!
OWE!
Down shifting - on the brakes!
OWE !
It's down my right sleeve and it stung me again!
Back brake is locked up now.
Kill switch killing.
Kick stand down.
I finally stop and strip like I'm about to get laid.
I jump off the bike and fling my gloves out in the street.
Fling the jacket out there too.
Scratching the back of my neck.
Scratching the back of my arm.
Dam that hurts.
-
Looking at my arm in the mirror I see a small spot but no swelling.
I haven't been stung since I was - what, 10? 12?
I know I wasn't allergic then, but that was decades ago.
I see a black bug fly away from my jacket.
Didn't look like a wasp.
After about 10 minutes there's no swelling so I continue down the road.
I decide I'm done
I've been puked on and bee stung.
I'm going home.
I get to the city of Granbury and stop at a Subway, about 1:15.
I get home about 3:30
-
Days like this make me want to fix my boat.
-
-
Sitting on the couch, watching TV isn't living.