Re: [St] wax or...

On Wed 12 Nov 2008, Lou Kallery wrote:
> Been told that "O" ring, "X"
> ring chains do not require much more than a coating to keep them from
> rusting.  Not sure of that, but mine do not seem to show a great deal of
> wear.

In theory all you need to do with an O- or X-ring chain is keep water off it,
as lube is already sealed inside the rings. If you live in a ridiculously wet
climate like me, you are not really 'lubing' the chain but trying to keep the
water out with water-repellent oil/grease. Scottoilers I have found very
effective, allowing chain life of over 20,000 miles, although on the ST I've
done less than half that to date.

There is only one bike I've ever owned which had an option of either a 'plain'
or O-ring chain - a GS500E twin - I once took the plain chain as a misguided
economy move. It lasted terribly badly (about 3000 miles despite regular
cleaning and lubing) as you'd expect. On a bike like the ST such a chain
wouldn't have a hope fighting against 100Nm of torque...

Eoin

Dublin, Ireland
'04ST955i