From: John Ulizzi <jaulizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:44 am
Subject: Re: [St] Dragon--Corn nuts--now Filter wrench Q

It would be great if everyone standardized into 4 or 5 sizes. Then
you could just go to the store and pick out a x-small, small, medium,
large, or x-large.<<<

Victoria's Secret does exactly this with there line of panties, and I must say it works quite well....I get the right size every time I shop there....

While we're improving the world, I would also standardize the power
bricks that seem to come with every electronic device these days.
There should be one standard where the tip is always the same
polarity, and the diameter of the tip would only vary for the voltage
that it supplies. Bigger voltage, bigger tip. At a minimum, if I were
King, I'd make a law that required manufactures to state on a non
removable label, what device the brick goes to.<<<

By power brick I assume you mean the little wall wart power supplies? Yea, I would agree with everything there. How about doing the same for MC batteries ( batteries in general)?
For motorcycles, you have 3, maybe 4 physical sizes, and a few variations therein, and they all have the positive on the same side too. That would make way to much sense. Speaking of mandating non removable labels, I have a few thoughts there as well... Two stroke engines, I dont care what they are powering, weedwacker, chain saw, bike, or outboard, should also have their mixture stamped clearly somewhere readily readable. The other day my neighbor brings over a gas powered hedge trimmer and says "it quit". Hell, it wouldn't even crank. 'It's my brother's, he'll kill me if I broke it". I looked it over, looking for some indication of something. Nothing. All kinds of decals listing features, colors blah blah blah. Nothing said two stroke. Anywhere. That's what I was looking for. Now my neighbor is not an idiot, but is not mechanically inclined. I asked if he put gas in it. Yes. Did you mix oil? No. Didnt know I was supposed to. Putting myself in his shoes
( and he has owned a boat with an outboard...) there is nothing anywhere to explain to the unknowing what the thing needs. I had to study the motor , determine the absence of a valve train and other such obvious ( to me ) sorts of things to know it was in fact a two stroke. Hmm... OK. Needs oil. How much? Why the hell isnt the little oil symbol and the ratio stamped into the gas tank or cap or whatever? Added a bunch of oil to the fuel, got it started, thinned it out, thing works fine. But IMHO, the idiot here is the manufacturer, not my neighbor...

The other day I had to order a replacement starter recoil for my pressure washer, an Excell with Honda motor. Manual doesnt say what motor my unit has. NOWHERE on the motor does it say so either. Had to call a Honda engine place and waste 15 minutes of each of our time to get the SN for the motor and thereby figure out what model it was. All kinds of shit saying "OHV", blah blah blah, but the impotant stuff, no way....

Damnit , Matt, you just had to get me going , didnt you?....

:-)

Ok I'm way off topic now, but it's raining and cold here in Ferndale

and I'm bored.<<<

... and now we are WAY WAY WAY off topic, but its below zero here in Cleveland, and bored doesnt begin to describe....

Get a FREE AOL Email account with unlimited storage. Experience Email and instant messaging together - chat while you mail and mail while you chat! Register for your free email account at http://free.aol.com.au