From: Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [St] I can't decide...
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Monday, November 24, 2008, 1:38 AM

Before I looked at getting the Sprint I looked at the SV650. But this
was when they first came out and they weren't importing the faired
version to the states. If they had, I might be riding an SV650 instead.

You sound like you've thought it out pretty well. But if I was going
to Costa Rica, I'd want my KLR650.

So I guess if the roads are bad, I'd go with the lighter more
maneuverable bike.

On Nov 23, 2008, at 7:24 PM, John Ulizzi wrote:

> OK folks, here's a nice motorcycle thread for wintertime when we
> cant be riding. I need to make a decision on a bike purchase, and
> soon, I have narrowed the field to two, and am weighing the merits
> of each. Here's the story:
>
> I spend a significant portion of my time in Costa Rica. My
> significant other is there and eventually I will move there. We
> have a car, a Suzuki Gran Vitara, that is absolutley perfect for
> our needs there. But there are two of us and only one vehicle.
> Vehicles are expensive there and so is gas, so I would like our
> second vehicle to be a bike. It will be enjoyed to be sure, but
> unlike my bikes here in the states that are pure toys, this will be
> my daily driver. I need something that is flickable and manuverable
> for inner city traffic, congested on tiny little pothole filled
> roads, that will also handle the occasional weekend two up trip.
> Out in the country, the roads are tight and twisty and small, like
> the goat paths so many of us ride in West Virginia at Mail Pouch.
> My two choices are an 01 Sprint RS that is already there, owned by
> someone I am acquainted with, and I am familiar with the bike, at
> least I was a few years ago. Bike is, or at least was,
>  in good shape the last time I saw it. About 5000 miles, bone stock
> except for maybe the OEM can and tune, and has mostly sat since 03.
> The other is an 01 SV-650 standard, owned by a good friend that I
> know and trust here in town. 4000 miles, great shape, lots of
> goodies, pipe, jet, fox shock, emulators, give top box, sitting for
> a year or two. The total cost to have either bike on the road down
> there, factoring in transport, import tariffs, etc, is similar,
> about $5000-5500. Budget has narrowed my choices to these two, but
> the decision between these two isnt about money. Its about which is
> the better horse for the job.
>
> Pros for the Sprint are:
> -Higher performance machine with similar fuel mileage
> -Higher residual value , athough I am not sure that matters...
> -Better two up
> -I am familiar ( put 5k miles on this bike's brother, and own a 02
> RS myself)
> -Better headlights ( but I can augment either)
> -Much less screwing around. Write check, register, title, ride.
>
> Cons for the Sprint are:
> -It's heavy and has a long wheelbase. Not really flickable
> -Clutch pull is hard. Only a problem in city traffic.
> -Long reach to bars, leaned over a bit for city riding.
> -I trust the american owner, but not so sure about his associate I
> need to deal with down there.
> -I already have one. (Which I may sell...)
>
> Pros for SV:
> -Smaller, lighter, more flickable
> -Cute as hell. ( Yes, the RS is gorgeous too...)
> -Upright riding position.
> -Givi top box. Read: Lockable hard luggage in a land where one
> doesnt leave things unattended
> -Probably easier to work on.
> [...]

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/
motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned