[St] Hmm... toasty!

Hi

This is a note to thank all those who contributed to the recent discussion of heated gear (e.g. the one about Widder stuff).

I had a 90 mile ride this am through near-freezing fog to the UK's major bike show (which started today). Got *very* cold. So while at the show I splashed out on a simple heated waistcoat, and am pleased to say that on way back (even colder conditions) I was much impressed by how warm it kept me. I've long been a sceptic, and doubt I would have tried it had I not been reading the experiences described herein. So thanks all. Appreciate it!

For the technically minded, I ended up with a vest from an unknown (to me) provider called Klan. Packaging had lots of italian on it, so perhaps it is a Euro brand. Main reasons for choosing were a) it was cheap compared to the brands I had heard of that I could find on sale (Gebring, Exo2) - £125 vs £180 for the Exo2 equivalent, and the heating bit could be removed from the zippy / pocket waistcoat it was attached to. I wear a Hein Gericke PSX XCR jacket, which is great but designed to fit close to body, so not much room for lots of layers underneath. So the very thin heating element bit fits in nicely with my other layers below the jacket. The Exo2 and Gebring products were more bulky, and so would have been harder to fit in. Jacket came with BMW style plug, an on-off switch and a pretty long cable. Cable connects to jacket with neat waterproof jack-plug arrangement.

The bike show was OK. A massive £28 to get in - with two halls of exhibits. One for the bike manufacturers - most UK brands there, but I didn't see Aprilia. New "98 cubic inches" Triumph twin on a twirly disk thing, but not to touch. Tiger SE (which looked better than in pictures). But not much else of remark from Triumph. BMW were showing the whole of the revamped K1300 range - released to dealers in January they say. 175bhp, slightly lower revs, slightly better fuel consumption. Ducati rep said that they don't do sport-tourers any more - the ST3 having been dropped from the range quietly a year ago (though a dealer he was talking to quickly leapt in with a "I've got one in stock" bid for glory :) ). Saw the new Buell 1125CR too - ugly as an ugly thing in the flesh, and not very pleasant to look at either! But still, a great day out. Much better than working :D

Regards

Gavin

ST'03