Re: [St] Hmm... toasty! ...and battery woes

Eoin

You can install an ammeter to find out how much charge, if any, is
getting to the battery but a voltmeter will give a good indication too,
and is easier to lash-up.

As you come to the end of your journey, you can probably afford to
switch the grips off if the battery needs that little bit extra.

Chris Harwood
00 RS

On Fri 28 Nov 2008, Gavin Lawrie wrote:

> For the technically minded, I ended up with a vest from an unknown
> me) provider called Klan.  Packaging had lots of italian on it, so
> perhaps it is a Euro brand.

A friend of mine got Klan heated overgrips (wrap around the standard
grips
with Velcro) a few years ago for his Guzzi. No problems I'm aware of.

On the subject of hot things, the Triumph heated grips don't draw that
much
current, but I think they're what's pushing my battery close to the
edge. My
commute is only 7 miles each way in city traffic, revs rarely rise
above
3000-3500 for long, I have the twin dip headlight mod, and prefer to
wear
summer gloves if possible for better feel. So I've been using the grips
on
full heat a lot lately. No problems starting the bike in the morning or

evening, but last week I broke my already-short journey halfway and the
bike
would not restart.* A kind person helped me push-start it. 7 miles
isn't much
to put back what the starter uses, especially with a bigger electrical
load
in winter. I'm going to give my bike a weekend trickle charge for the
rest of
the winter at least. Unfortunately a long run at the weekend is not an
option
at present :/ Battery is a genuine Yuasa 18 months old, the electrical
system
checks out ok, and the bike is in use every weekday, year round.

I've got PIAA spots on the bike too, but use them minimally (filtering
in very
heavy traffic) as they really do drain the battery!

* If I had a headlight switch, I probably could have started the bike.
By the
time I pulled the lighting fuses**, I'd tried the starter a few times
with
the lights on. There is no relay (on EU-spec bikes at least) to keep
the
lights off until the motor starts. A 'safety measure' that can leave
you
stranded at night in the middle of nowhere is one I can do without.

** Of course it's only after the seat lock has engaged when
push-starting the
bike, that you realise you have to turn the ignition off to get the key
open the seat to put the fuses back in...

Eoin

'04 ST955i