Re: [St] Hmm... toasty! ...and battery woes

On Sat 29 Nov 2008, Gavin Lawrie wrote:

> I'm not an expert, but surely a voltmeter would only be
> useful when engine is not running

Yes, on reflection probably not very useful.
I know the charging system is working normally. It just appears that the bike
is not getting enough revs and running to replace what the starter is using,
especially when riding in very heavy traffic in the winter. There is also an
alarm fitted, which claims to only use 2mA, but it's a constant load when the
bike is not in use.

> If voltmeter is only useful
> when engine stopped, just borrow a multimeter and put it in a pocket /
> pannier to check battery terminal voltage when you are having problems?

When I got home after the push-start, after about 4 miles running, keeping in
low gear as much as possible, the battery voltage was only 12.2 volts. After
an overnight trickle charge it was 12.8 which is ~80% charge according to the
Yuasa website.

My charger instructions say it can be left constantly connected and maintain
the battery at a safe charge level without overcharging, so I will be using
that all weekend from now on.

I know the consensus is that the battery is at fault, but I really don't think
so (and I have checked out the charging system also) as it is only 18 months
old and the bike has never been left unused during that time. Before I
replaced the previous battery, I was having trouble frequently and the bike
could be reluctant to start even when left sitting for only 2 days. This is
the first time I've had trouble with this battery and I really think it is
down to lack of charging (i.e. short trips at low revs) rather than a battery
fault. If I encounter trouble again in spite of weekend charging, then I will
definitely replace the battery, but I think I can get another couple of years
out of it. Better for the environment and most importantly my wallet :)

Thanks for all the suggestions though. Yes I am in Ireland, but here we are
used to having to get a lot of bike stuff shipped internationally to us
(usually from the UK) as bike shops here carry a small range, tend to be
expensive and there is only one Irish-based bike accessory website I know of.

Eoin

'04 ST955i