Re: [St] Speedometer woes

The speedo stops working if the battery voltage is too low. Check it and check
also the voltage engine running (for a faulty generator). Should be 14 v or arround engine running and 12.5 v engine stoppped after sitting overnight (13.5v immediately
after cutting).

The sensor is magnetique. That is if you can disconnect it from the unit and check the output w/
a mutimeter, rotating the wheel by hand should produce pulses.

Otherwise, I guess that producing pulse w/ a square wave generator should allow to test the unit,
but I have no idea about the pulse amplitude.

Fred

Hi All,

Originally joined this list back in '99 (?) with my, then new '99 ST. I still have it and need some help.

My speedo has suddently stopped working. Had the bike in for a valve job and asked them to source the problem. I was told that it was the speedometer itself and not the sender unit on the front wheel. Without going into a long story about some poor service at the mechanic, I am somewhat dubious about their answer. Is there a way for me to be able to check if it is the speedometer itself or the sender? I don't have the means to plug it into the computer that they have at the mechanic.

If it does turn out to be the speedometer, does anyone have any leads for a used one. A new one, on-line is (gasp!) $370.00.

Any help would be appreciated

Lance La Certe, '99 Sprint ST