Re: [St] High MPG Euro Bikes and Big Cars.

You raise an interesting point there Joel.

On our island of Oz, fuel in our major cities is sitting around $1.60 per
litre at the pump, which seems to be the tipping point for mainstream society to
take notice of their driving habits and the vehicles they drive. (I believe
this has also been the case in the USA with the price at the pump being $4.00
per gallon). As a result, people are now panicking, so the value of big gas
guzzlers has gone through the floor as people try to off load them and buy more
fuel efficient vehicles. The one thing that gets ignored is the cost of changing
vehicles, which is of course ridiculous and false economics.

Having said that, its a wind fall if youre in the right situation. Currently
I dont own a car, so I'm looking at buying a two or three year V8 ute (pick
up) or perhaps a slightly older diesel 4WD. Prices have dropped to around
$20,000 - $30,000 which in many cases is 50%, 40%, or even 30% of the cost of said
vehicle new!

So on those numbers, if I were to spend $100.00 per week, every week on fuel
it would take four years to spend $20,800.

At the moment, I have my eye on a turbo diesel Landcruiser that the owner
doesnt seem seem to be able to off load. I have watched the asking price drop
from 45k to 31.5k over the past three months. Looking at the list of accessories
and options etc, this vehicle would easily have cost him $100k including the
purchase price, to set up. If I were to buy it for under 30k it would indeed
make for cost effective driving.

Brett.