Re: [St] High MPG Euro Bikes and Big Cars.

I agree with the cost of changing vehicles.  People ask me all the time if I
have had to replace the batteries in my 70K mile Prius yet.  Currently, if
all 14-ish batteries fail at the same time, its about a $6000 dollar repair
bill.

But, that is significantly cheaper proposition than buying a new Pruis, or
even a $12K Yaris.

It's completely different than buying a new vacuum for $400 when the repair
shop wants $250 just to look at your old one.
BTW.  I just did something similar to what you are planning.  I just picked
up a very pristine 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with 100K miles on it from a friend
for $7000US.  It was a steal.  I'll drive it about 3000 miles a year just to
pull my camper.   If I drove it to work every day and nowhere else, at
$4/gallon, I'd spend $750 a year on gas.  Now is a *great* time to buy a
truck, especially a used one.  The US market if flooded with good used
trucks.

--Joel