Re: [St] Road debris

On Sep 11, 2008, at 7:26 AM, David Jonas wrote:

What's the worst piece of road debris you've ever hit?

Back in 1985 my wife was going to school in LA and I was still living in San Jose. I'd go down to see her every other weekend, usually leaving Friday after work, which meant a lot of the ride was in the dark.

This was when I had my '83 Vision, which is a good thing because the fairing on that bike allowed you have your legs pretty protected.

I always took I-5 down there, and usually was quite a bit above the legal speed, especially since we were still under that asinine 55mph limit back then. (Doing 55mph on I-5 is a good way to fall asleep at the wheel)

On one trip, somewhere down in the Bakersfield area I was cooking along at about 75mph in the dark, when all of a sudden I got enveloped by a dust storm. Before I could even react, a 5 ft diameter tumbleweed appeared right in my path. The impact was a lot more than I would have expected from a dried bush. I had bits and pieces of the tumbleweed hanging from me and the bike and I had to pull over not only to remove it all, but to catch my breath from the shock of it.

That one I went through. The largest obstacle I ever went over was a log on Route 1 while I was riding the opening season ride with Blake on our KLRs. But opening season on Route 1 (not to be confused with Hwy 1 on the coast) is always full of surprises, and that's what makes it a good KLR road. Had I been on the Sprint, I might not be writing this today.

The largest obstacle I didn't go over is a 20ft long 1" galvanized pipe that came off a trailer and did a nice bounce on the highway in front of me. That was probably the scariest of the all because it wasn't just lying on the road and I could just picture getting impaled by it.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/ motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned