Re: [St] Road debris

David

Only experienced this seriously in a car.

Once, very similar to yours, 1.5inch rock from a dump truck came at
about 45degrees from lane 1 when I was in lane 3.  Bounced on the bonnet
(hood?) and hit the screen in line with my face and passed over the
roof.  My passenger saw it coming and that's how I know where it came
from, but I had no idea.

Other one was one of those iron wheels that truck trailers stand on
when separated from their tractor units.  Appeared stationary in my path
from between the rear wheels of a Roller I was following.  I made a
slight swerve to avoid it but it still cut the inside wall of my Pirelli
leading to instant deflation.  I was clearly driving too close!

Chris Harwood
00 RS

>>> kahonas@xxxxxxxxx 11/09/2008 15:26:59 >>>
I was travelling home to Tennessee from Virginia last week in my Miata.
 In
the lane to my right was a flatbed tractor-trailer which, apparently,
was
used recently to haul some heavy equipment, as evidenced by the large
chains
and turnbuckles attached.  Long story short, a large bolt decided it
liked
my hood (bonnet?) and windshield better than the trailer.  Luckily, not
whole lot of damage to either component, except for the large scrape in
my
paint and the nick in my glass.  My pants had to be changed, though, as
it
sounded like a gunshot when it impacted.

Now to the point of this message.  What's the worst piece of road
debris
you've ever hit?  This isn't the first time I've been hit by a large
bolt
from a flatbed.  I caught one in my Honda about a year ago with the
same
amount of damage.  Considering the sound of both impacts, I am not real
keen
on the idea of hitting the same thing on my bike.  I can't see any way
that
would end well.

So, chime in.  I'm interested to hear your experiences.  Karl Clark's
message from a few month's back is coming to mind...

David