From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Jonas
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:27 AM
To: st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [St] Road debris

I was travelling home to Tennessee from Virginia last week in my Miata.  In
the lane to my right was a flatbed tractor-trailer which, apparently, was
used recently to haul some heavy equipment, as evidenced by the large chains
and turnbuckles attached.  Long story short, a large bolt decided it liked
my hood (bonnet?) and windshield better than the trailer.  Luckily, not a
whole lot of damage to either component, except for the large scrape in my
paint and the nick in my glass.  My pants had to be changed, though, as it
sounded like a gunshot when it impacted.

Now to the point of this message.  What's the worst piece of road debris
you've ever hit?  This isn't the first time I've been hit by a large bolt
from a flatbed.  I caught one in my Honda about a year ago with the same
amount of damage.  Considering the sound of both impacts, I am not real keen
on the idea of hitting the same thing on my bike.  I can't see any way that
would end well.

So, chime in.  I'm interested to hear your experiences.  Karl Clark's
message from a few month's back is coming to mind...

David